About Michael foods
At Michael Foods, we are a leader in the food industry because we introduce innovative, value-added food products and customer solutions. Our success starts from the inside out — empowering employees to play a vital role in our company. They have the chance to make their own impact, expanding on our already rich history. That’s how plenty of our people have already transformed their careers. And you could be next.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability. Ensures regulatory compliance.
The Quality Assurance Supervisor ensures the quality and safety of products produced by implementing and monitoring the quality programs and procedures in support of the Michael Foods Corporate Quality Systems and Policy.
- Assumes personal responsibility to insure safe and healthy workplace for everyone. Adhere to all safety policies and procedures and, incorporate safety and health in all jobs and tasks.
- Adhere to Quality work practices, follow GMP’s, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety and quality.
- Supervises Quality Assurance personnel and laboratory activities which include scheduling work assignments along with hiring, performance evaluation and termination activities.
- Train Quality Assurance personnel in GLP, testing methods, decision making skills and prioritization of tasks.
- Oversee safety initiatives for all lab personnel.
- Investigate customer complaints for root cause and corrective action.
- Performs GMP inspections of plant equipment, environment and surrounding areas and publish findings and trends to production/maintenance personnel.
- Prepares and initiate process deviation reports and trends.
- Leads and coordinates the ingredient testing and point of usage verification activities.
- Drives GLP Standard Operating Procedures for all testing and lab personnel activities.
- Monitors the collection, preparation and handling of external laboratory samples for chemical and microbial analysis.
- Monitors and assists sanitation activities as needed, provides support with environmental sampling and product contact swabbing.
- Monitors and enforces the hold/release activities, providing process deviation reporting when needed as well as following up with disposition.
- Ensures customer concerns are reviewed, investigated and reported upon completion to Customer Service.
- Assists Document Control with monitoring in process documentation and recovery of documentation related to process control.
- Updates and maintains facility batch and quality related records as necessary.
- Updates quality related manuals as required (customer specific documentation, HACCO, labels, etc.)
- Maintains raw material, in-process, and finished product retention program.
- Assists with the facility food safety inspections, in-process inspections, mock recalls, label audits, thermometer calibration and other inspections/audits as required.
- Assists with annual GMP, HACCP training and any additional training needed. This includes an annual HACCP assessment.
- Ensures external documentation is maintained (Letters of Guarantee, Certificates of Insurance, external lab report, etc.)
- Works with external pest control service as necessary. Maintains appropriate pest control documentation.
- Assists with the inspection of Kosher segregation and tracking through facility to ensure no cross over with non-kosher material.
- Assists with the monitoring of UEP product segregation and tracking through facility to support the UEP Plan.
- Maintains and monitors inventory of all laboratory supplies.
- Must be able to assist with laboratory testing activities as needed.
- Must be able to function through SAP system and run per requested reports.
- Must work cooperatively and integrally with production personnel.
- Adhere to safe work practices, follow GMP’s, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, Associate’s Degree or two-year Technical Certificate in Food Science or a related field and two years of experience in performing similar work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Knowledge of quality systems, HACCP, GMP, and pre-requisite programs.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated skill in leading, coaching, teaching, and supervising employees.
- Skills in identifying quality opportunities.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to interact with co-workers and managers sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Ability to perform basic computer functions including: spreadsheets, word processing and email.
- Ability to actively participate in and lead teams.
- Demonstrate proficiency in microbiological and analytical methods.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of quality related team and tools.
- Ability to write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Knowledge of statistical methods, food microbiology, etc.
- Demonstrated time management ability.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers/vendors, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.